Natural Gas Meter Safety — keep your gas meter clear and dry

Keep the vent dry and clear of snow and ice at all times to avoid the potential for dangerous indoor natural gas buildup. In the photo, the arrow points to the meter’s gas pressure regulator vent.
The vent can become plugged when ice and snow melt during the day and refreeze at night.

We recommend keeping the entire meter assembly clear of snow and ice as well. Accumulated snow can prevent the meter from operating properly by stopping the flow of natural gas. Gently remove snow or ice from the natural gas meter and any associated piping. Carefully shovel around a meter and move snow away from it. Avoid using a snowblower near a meter. Always keep a clear path to your gas meter to allow quick access in an emergency. A snow-covered meter, in addition to being potentially dangerous, can also lead to a loss of service and freezing of inside pipes as a result of lost heat.

We strongly recommend that you check your gas meter regularly to ensure it is free of ice and snow, especially if the meter is exposed to melting precipitation. If you notice ice on your meter or are concerned that the meter’s regulator vent may be blocked, please call Xcel Energy at 1-800-895-2999.

Does your home have CSST?

It’s not a disease, but it may lead to a safety issue!

Across the nation for more than a decade during building construction, contractors have installed corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST). It is a flexible, stainless steel pipe used to carry natural gas (or propane) and is often routed below, through and alongside joists in basements or in other areas of homes, businesses or industrial buildings. It delivers natural gas inside the building to appliances.
At a minimum, please visit http://csstsafety.com/ to learn more. We also encourage you to hire a licensed electrician to ensure that your CSST system is properly bonded and grounded. Doing both will better protect your safety by reducing a person’s risk to electric shock and damage to the tubing (pipe) if lightning or other electrical surges occur. A damaged pipe can result in leaking gas, a fire or explosion.

—  Submitted by Xcel Energy Minnesota. Visit www.xcelenergy.com for more information about natural gas meter safety.
 

Rate this article: 
No votes yet