Girls hockey: Pioneers bump Titans in CSC match

The Hill-Murray Pioneers took their high-powered girls hockey team into Titanville Jan. 14 to do battle with Tartan in a Classic Suburban Conference contest.

In a display of precision and superb passing, the Pioneers quickly built a 3-0 margin and then sat back on their laurels and almost dared the Titans to respond.

Tartan fought hard, but in the end could not find the tools to fend off the 5-1 final.

The final tally didn’t tell the story of Tartan netkeeper Maddy Campbell’s valiant efforts.

Though she allowed five goals—one on a power play and another on a penalty shot—Campbell was able to turn aside 45 of the 50 missiles ticketed for the 24 square feet behind her. Many of her saves were spectacular.

“We were able to get everyone on our bench into the game,” said Hill-Murray head coach Bill Shafhauser. “It was a good game for us. The kids stepped up and we took care of business. Tartan is a good team with some good skaters. Their goalie recovered very well after that first period. For the rest of the game she made some great saves.”

“It was a good game after we recovered from the first period,” stated Tartan first year coach Nick Fuerst. “I thought we came out flat and weren’t ready for the start of the game. We came back and played them even and out shot them in the third period. We just didn’t have enough to climb out of the hole we dug early on.”

The Pioneers moved into the Tartan zone from the opening faceoff, when Laura Anderson passed to Sarah Bobrowski.

The senior winger moved into the circle to the left of the Tartan net. From there, she feathered a feed to the right doorstep, where Jac Kaasa one timed a blast to the back twines at 1:02 of the opening canto.

Next it was Samantha Boyer who fired a slap shot from just inside the blue line. Campbell made the save but a scramble in front of the goal mouth saw Taylor Lambert get knocked to the ice. From her knees, she swatted the loose puck into the back mesh at 2:55. It turned out to be the game-winner. 

Still charging

With the Pioneers continuing to buzz in the Tartan zone—they had 20 shots on goal in the opening 17 minutes—Kennedy Houge cut through the left circle and let fly a quick wrister that caught the upper right corner at 4:40.

Some 11 minutes later, the Titans broke into the Hill-Murray end. A feed from Hannah Croonquist hit the stick of Gabriella Bjellos who sent a pass that found Ellie Tabaka charging down the slot. From point-blank range the junior center let fly a bullet that found the target inside the left pipe at 15:23.

Just past the midway point of the second period Hill-Murray junior forward Rebecca Zarembinski, as she was about to fire the puck, was pulled down in front of the Tartan goal.A rare penalty shot was awarded.

Zarembinski moved up the slot, made a head deke to move Campbell to the right post and lifted a wrist shot inside the left post for the 4-1 score at 9:50 of the second stanza.

Play moved into the third period and the Titans took a penalty. The Pioneers made them pay when feeds from Laura Anderson and Brittany Anderson found Zarembinski in the left circle. She unleashed a quick blast that found a niche for a tally on the short side at 4:08 to end the scoring in the 5-1 Hill-Murray triumph.

Next up, Hill-Murray will host Sibley Jan. 24 at 7:30 p.m. at Aldrich Arena before traveling to St. Louis Park Arena for a 3 p.m., Jan. 25 contest with Benilde St. Margaret’s.

Tartan will take to the road to meet Simley, 7:30 p.m., Jan. 24, at Veterans Memorial Arena in Inver Grove Heights. They then venture to Wakota Arena Jan. 28 to meet South St. Paul in a 7 p.m. drop of the puck. 

Wally Wakefield can be reached at


Rate this article: 
No votes yet
Comment Here