South-West Review police reports Oct.6, 2013

West St. Paul

Warrant arrest
—Long waits between smokes can be tough, but here’s clear proof that getting cranky doesn’t help: police were called to a gas station on the 400 block of Mendota Road Sept. 30 after a customer became upset because he wasn’t allowed to buy cigarettes without ID. During the course of mediation, the responding officer discovered the customer had an outstanding warrant for disorderly conduct. He was arrested and transported to Dakota County Jail.

—A woman called police from the 900 block of Charlton St. Oct. 1 to report that someone had stolen her purse. The woman said she’d just pulled her car into the garage when a man approached her and demanded she hand over her purse. When she refused, the man struck her in the arm, snatched the purse and sprinted to a car across the street. The woman was unable to provide a clear description of the man or the vehicle, but said her purse contained around $300 in cash at the time.

Auto theft
—Some people simply refuse to let bad news ruin their day: a woman called police Oct. 1 to report a vehicle was stolen from an apartment parking lot on the 1500 block of Bellows St. The woman explained the car actually belonged to her boyfriend, but he went out golfing after he learned the car was missing and left her to deal with police. Dispatch informed the woman that only the registered owner of the vehicle could report it missing, so her boyfriend would have to call in again after he finished his game.

Check welfare
—It seems this woman has the gift of prophesy when drunk—at least the self-fulfilling kind: police received a call from an apparently intoxicated woman Oct. 1 asking if she was in any trouble with the law. She explained a neighbor in a nearby apartment informed her that police had been banging on her door earlier, but she hadn’t heard it. She also mentioned she was having trouble with her boyfriend. An officer responded to her apartment on the 1500 block of Charlton St., but despite banging on her door and calling out, he received no answer. Whether this leads to an infinite loop of calls and unanswered visits remains to be seen.

—A woman called police to the 1400 block of Robert St. Sept. 30 to say she’d found a clutch of personal possessions in the woods behind a restaurant and suspected someone was living back there. An officer inspected the collection—a young girl’s sweatshirt, a blanket and a pair of scissors—and decided they were likely remnants of a child’s play session rather than equipment for a rough-and-tumble life in the West St. Paul woods. Whatever the case, the items were disposed of and the officer cleared the scene.

—A resident in an apartment on the 900 block of Smith Ave. called police Sept. 30 to report a stranger wandering up and down the hall pounding on doors up and screaming to be let in. An officer met with the man and learned he was waiting for his aunt to return home (apparently the knocking and screaming seemed like a good way to kill time). The officer gave the man a ride to another residence where he could wait more quietly and perhaps sleep off the booze.

—Is it swindling or a conveniently terrible memory? A man stopped by the police station Oct. 1 to complain that his former landlord had been ripping him off for an extended period of time. He explained the landlord sold the house he was renting on the 1100 block of Livingston Avenue, but never notified the tenants and continued to collect rent until they found out through other means. Police advised the man the dispute was a civil matter and he would have to go to court to settle his grievances.

Inver Grove Heights

—If this was Godfather-style symbolism, it was a little too abstruse to be intimidating: a resident on the 9200 block of Inver Grove Trail called police Sept. 20 to report that someone had dumped a large, white freezer in his driveway overnight. The freezer was later hauled away by the public works department.
—At least they’re not burning them: a man called police from the 2000 block of Upper 45th St. Sept. 20 to complain that someone had dumped around eight bags of raked leaves on his property.

—An officer responded to a report of an intoxicated man tottering near the intersection of Broderick Boulevard and Concord Boulevard Sept. 16. When he arrived, he found the man with a large gash on his head and almost too drunk to stand. The man said he’d been drinking since he got off work at 4 p.m.; he then clarified that was 4 p.m. on Saturday—two days earlier. After measuring the man’s blood-alcohol content at .29, the officer decided to transport the man to detox, where there was less risk of his head going bump in the night.

South St. Paul

—Next time, be more specific with your ominous farewell: a human resources director at a business on the 1700 block of Henry Ave. called police Sept. 27 to report a potential threat from a disgruntled former employee. The caller explained the man became upset after he was fired and told another employee his boss had not seen the last of him yet and someday “he will pay for this.” Police then contacted the suspect, who confirmed his statements but clarified he was referring to tools he’d bought for the job for which he was never reimbursed. He further explained that when he said his boss hadn’t seen the last of him, it was because he planned to take him to civil court to recoup his expenses. An officer then arranged for the man’s final paycheck to be dropped off at the police station so he could collect it without further misunderstandings.

—Winter is coming: a resident on the 300 block of 10th Ave. S called police Sept. 29 to report someone had stolen his comfy queen-sized blanket off his clothesline. He described the blanket as purple with red and orange flowers and estimated its value at $200.

Disturbing the peace
—Think of it as a joyless version of geocaching: a man called police from the 600 block of Third Ave. to report two strangers snooping around his garage with flashlights in the pre-dawn hours of Sept. 25. The homeowner said at one point the strangers knocked on his front door, but he refused to answer. Officers responded to the address and found two men standing in the front yard with flashlights. One of the men explained his cell phone was either lost or stolen in Newport earlier in the evening, and they’d come to this address because a “find-your-phone” app on his buddy’s phone indicated the missing phone would be somewhere near the coordinates of the home. An officer advised the men that the common sense approach would be to report the missing phone to police, and under no circumstances go knocking on doors in the middle of the night. Officers then arrested the men for disorderly conduct and public nuisance and instructed the homeowner to check his garage in the morning for damage or missing items.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet
Comment Here