East Side Review fire blotter Apr. 17-23, 2013

During the week of April 17 thru April 23, the St. Paul Fire Department responded to 741 emergency calls. These are a few of the department’s emergency and non-emergency calls.

Dwelling fire - On April 20 at 3:09 p.m. on the 900 block of Hyacinth Avenue East fire crews were dispatched to a single family dwelling with a smoke smell in the house. Firefighters found a towel smoldering. Children had a sound light bulb and screwed it into a fixture in the hallway used as a night light. They then dropped a towel in there while digging out other toys. The light bulb then started the towel smoldering which was then removed and burned the carpet in the hallway. Damage is estimated at $100.

Electrical fire - On April 20 at 10:08 p.m. on the 900 block of Payne Avenue a fire started in the rear utility room of an office building. The fire started in the electrical panel from a high resistance connection which then ignited combustible materials in the room. Damage is estimated at $40,000.

Gun shot wound - On April 19 at 6:51 p.m. a 27 year old man was transported from one hospital to another hospital by paramedics after he had been shot through the window while in a car.

Unattended candle fire – Early in the morning of April 23, a resident of an apartment building in the 200 block of Birmingham St. left a candle unattended on a table while he went to do laundry.  When he returned, the candle had melted down and ignited the table that was dripping onto the carpet.  He put the fire out before firefighters could arrive.  The fire did not spread but the apartment was filled with smoke.  There were no injuries and damage was estimated at $3200.00

· Never leave a candle burning unattended.
· Burning candles should be placed in a sturdy, non-combustible holder.
· Keep combustibles at least one foot away from burning candles.
· Do not light candles if there are children or pets around who can accidentally knock over the burning candle.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet
Comment Here